Friday, August 17, 2007

What a Week!!

Well, if our plates weren't full enough, this week brought some unexpected stress! On Tuesday afternoon, I got a phone call from the lady that cleans my dad's house. She was worried about dad and wanted me to check on him when I got home (we live next door to him). I found my 6' father looking pale and weak and tell me only that he "felt like crap." Very descriptive!

Long story short, my dh took his blood pressure (68/34) and we immediately drove him to the emergency room. The ER doctor termed it a "GI bleed". He was admitted about an hour later. He was given IV fluids and was feeling better by the time we left the hospital a little after 10:00 p.m. Of course, we had already called my sister across the state & my aunt (who lives in the same down as the hospital) - who arrived a short time later.

I arrived back at the hospital Wednesday morning to find I had just missed the doctor. Dad had been given 2 units of blood during the night so didn't get a lot of sleep since they had to take his vitals every few minutes. The internalist had scheduled a scope for 4pm that afternoon and dad couldn't have anything to eat until after the scope. I had thought I would sit with him but it took me about 5 minutes to realize that I couldn't do anything there except listen to my dad sleep.

So off to work I went (this is the week before the fall semester begins so is also crazy there). Early afternoon I went back to the hospital. At 4pm he was wheeled away. He came back about 30 minutes later - very groggy. They put him to bed & showed me the wonderful color pictures they took with the scope. They found nothing that showed signs of bleeding.

Anyway, they assumed that the bleed came from his stomach because of the mixture of meds he had been taking. They took him off of an anti-inflammatory as well as aspirin (he will be using baby aspirin from now on). A few more meds later - several discussions with the nurse about taking him home too early - a wonderful dinner from the hospital cafeteria (LOL) - and my dad was released from the hospital less than 24 hours after he arrived. He was a new man....he felt like a million bucks. He continues to feel better & gain more strength each day.

Maybe now I can convince him that a man of 72 years young should probably go to the doctor once a year or so just for a general check-up. He had felt crappy for about 3 weeks he figures - but he didn't realize how bad he felt until he felt better. Go figure.

Anyway, all is well - it's Friday!! And the son of one of my best friends is getting married this weekend! I'm so excited for them - they are so in love - and I'm glad I can be a part of that.

Until next time... one word of advice - Remember that doctors are only human! Talk to them like you would your best friend.

No comments: