Friday, June 13, 2014

It Has Been Awhile

I guess I either did not have anything to say or was just too busy to write on this blog. However, I felt compelled to write a bit today - a couple of days before Father's Day. I have been dealing with a few issues this spring with my bio dad not wanting anything to do with me. I can only speculate on his reasons for this behavior so we won't go into that here. The point of this post is simply to say that my children could NEVER do anything that would cause me to disown them, disinherit them, or close them out of my life. Maybe that is the difference between fathers and mothers. I don't know but my bio dad - who has supposedly loved me my entire life - has hurt me deeply with his words and his actions.

Alternatively, my step-dad, who was not my favorite person for several years, I am sad to say, has been there for me, my hubby, and my kids. He is not flowery, or poetic about it but he is simply present to us and for us with no expectations. He cares about us all and has always included me in family discussions. While I am not his flesh and blood, he treats me like a cherished member of his family. For that I am grateful. He has also found faith in these past years, thanks in great part to his lovely wife, Alice, who just went to be with our Father. I think his faith has brought him great comfort and peace - as it has me. 

My father-in-law passed several years ago and I miss hearing his voice and his laugh every day. He loved me unconditionally and with his entire being. We shared much in our short time together - but I will never forget him. Remember that Irish loves you, dad!

So in closing, I wish all fathers and grandfathers the happiest of fathers' days and please remember to keep your heart open and full of love for your kids. This life is too short to hate - and if you need to say something to your kids, please filter it first or you may hurt their heart beyond repair. Children can only take so much pain - even from their parent. 

And Ben, if you are reading this - thank you for being there for me. Time has a way of healing much, especially if we are opened to it! You have been a true blessing in our lives. We love you!


No comments: